The hardest part of this project for me is the printing process. It’s probably the part I find the most difficult to understand. I am just at the stage now where I am ready to print and my next stage is to go to the printers and consult with them the best way to print it and the cheapest way too but mainly what will work better.
Our studio had Heather and Dolly Thompsett come in to have tutorials with us to have a new set of eyes and perspectives on our projects. I showed them my final major project book and they loved it! They said they loved the project and the ideas behind it. The only criticism they had was the use of lines in some of my illustrations, especially of the portraits and the illustrations of me. They said I need to work on line and colour and how to use them together. I personally I really like the illustrations as they are so they will probably stay as they are.
After my tutorial with Kim and after I wrote out all the quotes with ink and a dip pen, I scanned them all in and begun to put together my illustrations with the text making the text weaving around the image. I also brought in the illustrations of me as a child and decided to use them, they make some of the quotes stronger when put against the quotes about children.
I had a fantastic tutorial with a tutor at my university, Kim. It really turned my final major project in a better direction in the visuals of the book and the layout and how it will look. She told me to be more illustrative with the book, as an illustration student she felt I wasn’t being illustrative enough especially with the type. Continue reading